Saturday, April 19, 2008

RTOB: GOOG Back To 700?

Random
Thoughts
Of
Brilliance

It's official, I HUMBLY declare that my Very 1st BLOG entry on Sunday, March 2nd 2008 was PRESCIENT ('A March/April Comeback for Google ?'). I bring this up NOT to gloat (although I do occasionally enjoy basking in the acknowledgement of others) but to briefly revisit my feelings on the GLOBAL Internet superpower, Google, after their GAMECHANGING 1Q08 quarter.

Earlier this week, I went over GOOG's first quarter earnings (please refer to my 'GOOG 1Q08 Earnings Recap' post) and I gotta say...I'm impressed by the fact that I am yet to find any 'flies'/points of concern buried in their quarter. The closest thing I could come up with was pretty darn weak...year over year their effective tax rate decreased by 1% (BIG whoop...probably just a reflection of Google's increasingly international business).

Assuming their qtr ends up being LEGIT (once again I stress it def appears to be after listening to the earnings conference call), I believe Google shares have traction/momentum back to $700 before year end. Acting on this notion, I purchased some additional shares of Google on Friday DESPITE the stock being up 20% or $90/share. For some perspective, even after Friday's 20% jump, shares of Google are STILL down 22% year to date and remain $200 UNDER their 52 week high of $747.24/share!)

*Lastly, Google's RENEWED strength/traction to the upside has got me feeling EVEN better about BAIDU's (BIDU) future prospects as they report their earnings in 5 days...Thursday, April 24th. BTW, headed into their earnings report, BIDU is up 55% the past month !



Full Disclosure: I own shares of GOOG and BIDU.